Monday, August 23, 2010

Unknown old Alley Cat

Since moving to Cole Harbour I've heard noises rather unpleasant in the cool evening, dogs snapping, snarling, whining. I shrugged it off thinking they were just barking at passerbyers (and guiltily ignored the fact the would have been left outside unattended). My ignorance was proven false, at least for one night.

Walking Big, I came across an old looking ginger tom, who was lying close to a car tire and wasn't moving around. He was alive, but startled and threatened by my large dog, so I was going to move on when I came in contact with the owner of the car. I guess my pale face gave away my worst fear, and they assured me he wasn't hit by a car, but probably had some sort of disease. I didn't bother asking if they contacted anyone because it seemed they really didn't want me around(?). My first mistake, one I'm regretting...
After the walk I came back with my dad because I was still concerned about the cat. He was still in the same spot. We gave him a cup of cat food and some water, but my dad said don't touch him. It was probably for the best anyway.
When he did stand up he looked bad. I thought he had a disease as well, or a licking disorder...

And that was it. I didn't do anything. I feel so bad now, because I haven't seen the cat since. He was old and lanky, a bit smelly, but nonetheless, he was so very kind. He purred even when I recoiled from his nuzzling around my legs.

My thoughts are now confirmed that I believe the injury was from a dog getting at him. I feel worse knowing that. But I don`t think I can blame anyone when I, myself, did nothing to help him.

I`m sorry, old alley cat. I hope you found peace, and I`m sorry I couldn`t-- didn`t give it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment